I’m going to tell you the truth – just because I’m a Health Coach, it doesn’t mean I don’t have my own struggles when it comes to healthy eating! It certainly doesn’t mean that I inhale kale, and live off of all organic everything. In fact, when it comes to getting my daily veggies, it can be a down right struggle some days.
Here’s a tip I’ve learned along the way: try to incorporate a serving of veggies into your breakfast, whether it’s spinach in your eggs, or a green juice… getting a serving of veggies in, first thing in the morning, makes it easier to reach that goal of 5-8 servings per day! Another tip is when you find a healthy veggie recipe you DO like, make it a go-to on your weekly meal plan. I tend to rotate through the same recipes each week and then change it up after 2 or 3 weeks.
For the last week or so, I’ve been enjoying this Healthy Asian Turkey Salad with a Sesame Ginger dressing. In order for me to say a salad is SO GOOD!! it really has to be something special. This salad is so full of flavor, you’ll forget it’s healthy! And it’s loaded with colorful veggies too!
Healthy Asian Turkey Salad
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound ground turkey
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
1/2 cup matchstick, or grated, carrots
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
3 green onions, thinly sliced
2 cups shredded red cabbage
2 cups shredded cole slaw mix
2 cups chopped butter lettuce
For the dressing:
¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
⅓ cup rice vinegar
2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced or grated
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp honey
¼ tsp pepper
1 tbsp sesame oil
¾ cup olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add ground turkey and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the turkey as it cooks; drain excess fat and set aside. Add garlic, bell pepper, carrots and onion to the saucepan. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in hoisin sauce, soy sauce, ginger and ground turkey until well combined. Add green onions and gently toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, mix together soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, garlic, honey, pepper, sesame oil, and olive oil. Mix until well combined and there is no longer separation of the oil and vinegar.
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, cole slaw mix, and butter lettuce. Drizzle with 2-3 tablespoons of dressing and toss to mix.
- To serve, portion the salad greens into individual bowls, and top with 2-3 tablespoons of turkey mixture and gently toss to mix.
PS – The leftover turkey can be stored in an air tight container for lunch the next day! This turkey mixture also makes for great lettuce wraps.
Recipe adapted from DamnDelicious.net